USL League Two and USL W League is responsible for keeping the official league standings. These are tabulated on a regular basis, displayed on the USL League Two and USL W League website, and/or distributed to all clubs. League standings include wins, losses, ties; goals scored for, goals scored against, and total points.
The following guidelines will be used to implement USL League Two and USL W League tiebreakers for all ties involving two or more teams:
1. The tiebreaker will determine the winner first.
2. The tiebreaker will continue within the same category to determine if other ties can be broken.
Breaking Ties in the League Standings – The breaking of ties in the final standings, playoffs and finals is accomplished by applying the following criteria, in order of importance:
1. Head-to-head record based on total points in League games. (A,B)
2. Total points per game (PPG) in League games.
3. Goal difference in League games. If number of games is unequal, the Game Average(C) will be used.
4. Goals scored in League games. If number of games are unequal, the Game Average will be used.
5. Total points within smallest group(D). If number of games is unequal, then point percentage(E) will be used.
6. Point percentage outside / smallest division or conference in League games.
7. FIFA Fair Play – Team with fewest disciplinary points in League games. (If number of games is unequal, points will be divided by games played to arrive at a common basis for comparison.)
8. Lottery conducted by USL League Two and USL W League.
A. League games refer solely to games that count towards the regular season standings.
B. Should more than two (2) teams involved have played each other an unequal number of times, this tiebreaker will be skipped.
C. Game Average = Tie Breaker / number of games played (i.e. goals scored / number of games played).
D. Grouping = term used to describe the primary unit in which a team competes (i.e. Southwest Division).
E. Point Percentage = number of total points earned / maximum possible points (3 per game)